Submittable is looking for an experienced Software Engineering Manager to join our rapidly growing team in Missoula, Montana. As part of the CTO's leadership team, you will manage and mentor a high-performing engineering team of five to ten people. You’ll work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and will lead not only at the strategic level, but also tactically day-to-day by diving deeply into business and technical domains.
You are expected to have an established background in building high performance teams, highly scalable systems and system design, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in Missoula, Montana.
You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex B2B2C software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about achieving business goals as well as building great software. Experience with operating and building web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at large scale, is required.
This is a full-time position and reports to the CTO.
What you will do:
- Lead a team of engineers and developers to deliver predictable engineering results while fostering creativity and risk-taking
- Iterate quickly without compromising quality and raise the bar on engineering excellence
- Develop your team members, grow the overall performance of your team, and contribute to the performance of your peers’ teams, department, and Submittable as a whole
- Continuously and relentlessly drive for business results
- Break down a large/complex problem, quickly derive an efficient design, document and implement the core framework, and hand off the simple components to staff
- Work directly with the Product team to better understand gaps that need to be filled with the team
- Drive the technical and organizational roadmap for the team
- Work on cross-functional teams in all phases of product development and qualification
You and your skills:
- Super nice. “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.” -Norman Maclean
- Passionate about people and customers
- True understanding of SDLCs including Agile; this means you know why's, not just what's
- 3 + years of experience managing technical staff
- Proven track record in building high-performing teams and experience hiring and retaining software engineers and managers
- You are great at injecting clarity, creating positive energy, and resourcefully achieving results
- Very motivated, driven, and super smart while a total team player
- High self-awareness and always looking for ways to better yourself
- Ability to look at the big picture while connecting with the details
- Amazing communication skills - both written and verbal
- Fast learner and open to feedback
- Possess a can-do and positive attitude: find ways to get things done
- Able to juggle many tasks and prioritize
- Self-starter - we can guide you, but we don’t micromanage you
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM subject preferred
- Preferably you have a Master’s degree or higher in computer science or a related field
- We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are unable to accommodate scholastic or employment visas.
Based in Missoula, Montana, Submittable’s office is 1 block from surfing, 7 miles from skiing, and 5 miles from the Rattlesnake National Recreation Area. If you’re not into sports or the outdoors, many of us have other interests, too--we also have, among our staff, professional musicians, accomplished artists, published writers (even poets!), former chefs, and a quilter who once won third place in the county fair. Our average "commute" time is 10 minutes, with many staff biking or walking to our office in downtown Missoula. Housing costs ⅓ that of NYC and SF (10% of Submittable employees are first-time home buyers). The average TSA wait time at Missoula International Airport is 5 minutes.
We offer highly competitive benefits for full-time employees, including:
- Health insurance, 401K, life insurance, and optional HSA, FSA, and DCA accounts
- Flexible hours, including flexible vacations and sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave policy for mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents and employee-paid on-site childcare center for infants and children up to age 2
- Discounted fitness memberships, personal development stipends, and book purchase reimbursement
- Involvement in community outreach programs for all employees, including company volunteer outings at local nonprofits
- Fully stocked kitchens with complimentary snacks and beverages for all employees
- Gender-neutral bathrooms with free pads/tampons
As a product used globally, we're very motivated to hire and support employees who are representative of different and diverse backgrounds and experiences, including but not limited to diversity of ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion, ability, culture, and socioeconomics.
Thank you for your interest.