Submittable is seeking a Software Engineer in Test to join our rapidly growing team in Missoula, Montana. We deliver new features to millions of people quickly and frequently. You are the key that allows us to reliably ship quality software.
The SET (Software Engineer in Test) will build processes and tooling that verify the quality of our products, enabling everyone to move quickly and confidently.
New software in our platform is built with the latest technologies, and is designed with testing in mind. We also maintain legacy apps that require more black box testing. You should know when to automate, and when to lean on manual testers. You should be capable of modifying the software under test with any hooks needed to improve automation.
This is a full-time position and reports to the Test Lead.
What you will do:
- Test builds before they go out to our customers. This can be a daily task on several different systems. You will be testing “smartly” - it’s impossible to test every area of every build. You will develop comprehensive test scenarios and plans for new features as they are designed and built. You will test function, security, performance, scalability, and the overall user experience. You will provide go-no-go input to the Test Lead and advise on the best course of action.
- Automate our testing. You will expand on our TestCafe and TypeScript foundation or replace it with improved tooling. We like tests that run fast and only fail when there is a problem. We are fans of image diffing, alternatives to browser automation, API tests, and heavy automation. We like measuring code coverage, but don’t want to get carried away with it.
- Advise Engineering Management on quality management. You'll learn our solutions and product roadmap inside and out and become an expert on our current architecture and engineering process. You will bring your own quality management ideas and suggestions to the rest of the team and see them through. This includes selecting the right tools, processes, and necessary modifications to our solutions.
- Write high-level test cases for assigned features. We believe in the importance of concise and clear documentation.
- Help troubleshoot: as the expert of our product, you will need to know more than just “what”; you will also be the expert on “how it should work”. You will document reproducible steps as concisely as possible.
You and your skills:
- Smart, driven, and super nice: “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.” -Norman Maclean
- Warm, positive energy and a strong team player
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM subject preferred - because we believe it means you've undergone formal training in thinking analytically
- 0 - 2 years of experience in QA/Test. Know what Test/QA is all about.
- LOVE customers and technology
- Detail-oriented and engineering-minded - think analytically and objectively
- A strong sense of accountability - you own the responsibility of ensuring good releases for our customers
- Super fast learner; know what you don’t know and know how to pick up the necessary knowledge quickly
- A great verbal and written communicator, who asks clarifying questions and can confirm what is being communicated
- Action-oriented self-starter and driver - be self-critical and take necessary actions to get things done. Minimum supervision required.
- Good at multi-tasking and context-switching - work on multiple features in parallel; you are adept at self-prioritizing your workload based on business needs
- Able to deal with ambiguity. Simplify seemingly complicated issues and clearly articulate them.
- Eager to learn and embrace a growth mindset
- Good understanding of QA methodology and agile software development practices
- Strong Python or JS coding knowledge
- Knowledge of React, NodeJS, GraphQL is a bonus
- Knowledge of Test Cafe or Cypress is a bonus
- Knowledgeable in testing web-based applications with multiple browsers (Edge, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and mobile)
- If you know tools like: Jest, Mocha, Karma, Protractor, Nightwatch, Nightmare, Phantom, or Cypress, great!
- We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are unable to accommodate scholastic or employment visas.
Based in Missoula, Montana, Submittable’s office is 1 block from surfing, 7 miles from skiing, and 5 miles from the Rattlesnake National Recreation Area. If you’re not into sports or the outdoors, many of us have other interests, too--we also have, among our staff, professional musicians, accomplished artists, published writers (even poets!), former chefs, and a quilter who once won third place in the county fair. Our average "commute" time is 10 minutes, with many staff biking or walking to our office in downtown Missoula. Housing costs ⅓ that of NYC and SF (10% of Submittable employees are first-time home buyers). The average TSA wait time at Missoula International Airport is 5 minutes.
We offer highly competitive benefits for full-time employees, including:
- Health insurance, 401K, life insurance, and optional HSA, FSA, and DCA accounts
- Flexible hours, including flexible vacations and sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave policy for mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents and employee-paid on-site childcare center for infants and children up to age 2
- Discounted fitness memberships, personal development stipends, and book purchase reimbursement
- Involvement in community outreach programs for all employees, including company volunteer outings at local nonprofits
- Fully stocked kitchens with complimentary snacks and beverages for all employees
- Gender-neutral bathrooms with free pads/tampons
As a product used globally, we're very motivated to hire and support employees who are representative of different and diverse backgrounds and experiences, including but not limited to diversity of ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion, ability, culture, and socioeconomics.
Thank you for your interest.