Submittable is seeking a Senior DevOps Engineer to join our dynamic, growth-driven team in Missoula, Montana. This position is open to remote candidates and is an incredible opportunity for someone looking to take on a critical infrastructure role in a rapidly growing company.
The position is a full-time individual contributor role and reports to the VP of Engineering.
What You'll Do:
- Make it easy for our team to ship. A good infrastructure team doesn't ship code -- it enables engineers to ship code easily and reliably. Your job will be to get us to that point. It will involve doing and teaching.
- Manage our AWS infrastructure. We run our stack on AWS, and use many of Amazon's services including RDS, EC2, S3, SNS, SQS, Lambda, and Elastic Transcoder. You should know AWS very well, and like infrastructure as code. Ideally, you have had experience managing infrastructure for a high volume, high availability SAAS product.
- Monitor operations. Knowing what our systems are doing and when things go wrong is a key aspect of this role. You should be comfortable with CloudWatch and other monitoring tools, and willing to teach the Engineering team how to instrument their code to improve monitoring.
- Take the lead for our production support process and participate in our on-call rotation
- Write, review and debug both front-end and back-end code. Ideally, you have a full stack software engineering skill set in at least one common stack.
- Super nice. We're a warm, engaged, and supportive team and are looking forward to welcoming you.
- Strong team player who consistently demonstrates a sense of both urgency and ownership
- Amazing written and verbal communication skills
- Fast learner and open to feedback
- Detail-oriented, engineering-minded, and budget conscious
- Bachelor's degree in CS or a STEM subject preferred
- We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we currently do not sponsor H-1B visas.
Based in Missoula, Montana, Submittable’s office is 1 block from surfing and kayaking, 7 miles from skiing, and 5 miles from wilderness hiking. If you’re not into sports or the outdoors, many of us have other interests, too—our team includes professional musicians, accomplished artists, published writers (even poets!), and former chefs. Our average "commute" time is 10 minutes, with many staff biking or walking to our office in downtown Missoula. Housing costs ¼ to ⅓ that of NYC and SF (10% of Submittable employees are first-time home buyers). The average TSA wait time at Missoula International Airport is 2-3 minutes.
We offer highly competitive benefits for full-time employees, including:
- Health insurance, 401K, life insurance, and optional HSA, FSA, DCA, and Commuter Benefits accounts
- Flexible hours, including flexible vacations and sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave policy for mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents, and an employee-paid on-site daycare center for infants and toddlers up to age 2
- Discounted fitness memberships, personal development stipends, and book purchase reimbursement
- Involvement in community outreach programs for all employees, including company volunteer outings at local nonprofits
- Fully-stocked kitchens with complimentary snacks and beverages for all employees
- Gender-neutral bathrooms with free pads/tampons
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are unable to accommodate scholastic or employment visas.
As a product used globally, we're very motivated to hire and support employees who are representative of varied and diverse backgrounds and experiences, including but not limited to diversity of ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion, ability, culture, and socioeconomics.